spaghetti with fried eggs

There is always good reason to fry an egg :). 1 green onion. :). Simply buy your eggs from a source where you can either see the chickens running around in a field or open pens with shelters so you know that they are free range. Add the pasta and stir to combine and coat with the garlic-infused oil. Prepare your eggs. All rights reserved. Directions. Kari Try it at a slightly lower heat. Dubious, knowing me. Flash forward seven or so years and last week we went to probably one of the most kid-centric, kid-mobbed resorts* one can go to on the most kid-centric and kid-mobbed week of the year and it was the best thing, ever. Since Im out of cauliflower right now I think the egg will be just fine! I tend to be a picky eater but seeing your pictures has erased all my fears. Just made this for dinner tonight, except I started with frying bacon, and then used the bacon fat to fry up the panko. Only thing I would change is maybe adding a bit of chili flake to the breadcrumbs. Its now my fav pasta recipe. Reduce the heat to medium and add the spaghetti, vegetables, 2 tablespoons [ cup] oil, half the Parmesan, and half the reserved pasta cooking water. The version of spaghetti with breadcrumbs I make is a riff on an Arthur Schwartz recipe, combined with a recipe from Jamie Oliver and a few of my own tweaks. This was a delightful back-story. Furikake with seaweed, sesame seed, and bonito flakes gives a depth of flavor that plain rosemary does not. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Even without all those things, this was delicious!! And theres the whole being unable to relax because you dont want them to drown. 1. WHen I was a kid, my Mom made something she called crumb spaghetti. I also used a basil and tarragon in place of rosemary- I am not a fan of rosemary at all. This site has links to products/services that may make us a commission. This was delicious. Theyre great in a pinch because the flavor is totally neutral and they pick up oil/crisp/flavors well. 1 1/2 hours, plus 4 hours or overnight chilling. Instructions. and I was excessively warm. Add garlic. You are welcome to share a photo ONLY with an accompanied do-follow link back to this site. 2 tablespoon olive oil 12 Comments. Once hot, add garlic and let sizzle for barely a minute, just until it begins to turn a pale golden color. Great prices & even better meat! i have a carbonara on the books for sunday night, but i think after that, this is the next pasta dish! -this is such a great meal to prepare for those of us who live alone and often default to popcorn! Adjust seasoning, if necessary. Add a small amount of pasta at a time, stir and repeat 2-3x. Gitty It would have less texture, so I dont think Id prefer itHar. Super delish. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils. Required fields are marked *. She used crumbled saltine crackers, no egg. Return to stove over high heat and add a generous glug of olive oil per egg. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. I look forward to trying this recipe out in the future. My husband loves capers, but I dont, any recommendations for a substitute? Heat medium skillet over medium and add the crumbs, stirring until toasted - 10-15 min. However, if you do find yourself with leftovers again, you can store this for up to 48 hours in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or bag. I *hate* capers. It means a lot for such a small time blogger as me to be linked by you :-) #happyface. 1. This is one of our favorites that I first read in SmittenKitchen Everyday and we make it about once a month during the winter/rainy spring here. Throw the finished spaghetti in a colander, let the water drain (do not wash hard pasta). By the time they were old enough they behaved well and we managed to go to Disney World. Just made this for lunch. You dont want to burn the eggs but get them a little bit fried. Works as both a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner. With the fried egg salad, one does the same; the directions are to cook the eggs on the second side until the yolks are set but still slightly molten which pretty much makes me hungry every time I read it, and is the ideal compromise between runny (danger!) and hard/dry yolks. Set aside. I heard you mention crispy breadcrumbs as a substitute for grated cheese. The leftover pasta also makes a fantastic frittata. Heat 3 tablespoons oil and teaspoon salt in 12-inch nonstick skillet over low heat until shimmering. Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil, adding enough salt for it to taste like seawater. This turned out so delicious and my whole family loved this pasta! I always make too much and serve it in a large bowl which I then take to the couch and cradle. 2 teaspoons small capers, drained (rinsed if salted), chopped Pasta time! I made this last night after being home sick for 3 days it was the first thing that i wanted to eat other than blueberries and broth. (1) Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and pepper. Break up the eggs as you stir. What is your secret for a lunchtime swim in NYC in February? Whether you have a little or a lot leftover, keep your spaghetti to try in any of these other great recipes. You want the yolk bowl a bit bigger since you will later add the parmesan cheese to it and whisk together. Husband didnt want an egg, so I cooked up some Italian sausage and tossed his portion with it, which he loved. Its creepy how many times this blog features either what Im sorely craving, or, a recent meal that I have made. I ate whatever I wanted all three pregnancies. Your email address will not be published. My husband liked the taste, but complained that it was too dry. He puts sauce on everything. Add fire roasted tomato butter sauce or other chunky tomato sauce to the pan, along with ground cumin and smoked paprika. One: going to set the yolks aside to ensure they don't get over cooked. Thanks. Once hot enough that the oil begins to smoke, add egg(s). In a small bowl, you will want to have egg whites. The egg amount was just perfect. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This is such a fun way to use leftover spaghetti and my kids absolutely loved it! I adore vegies and use tons of them. Add the spaghetti. So use the edge of the broken eggshell like a spoon and scoop up the broken piece that may be in the bowl. Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. How have I managed to miss combining the two? Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until garlic is foamy, sticky, and straw-colored, 8 to . Drain, toss spaghetti with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and set aside. To easily clean pan, rinse with COLD water. Quite honestly I have never seen anything quite like this. 3. Place an egg over each dish, and break up with a fork. Your email address will not be published. Warm a small skillet over medium-low heat. I never forgot it. Use whisked uncooked eggs, stirred in with the hot pasta they will cook right up! Looks amazing! You know, every time I see one of your (delicious) egg-on-top recipes, the Beyonce song pops into my head: If you like it, you shoulda put an egg on it. Guess Im getting ready for retirement attitude!! Step 2. Would love some tips(read inspiration). Would you recommend to sub something in for it or just leave it out? In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat. . Theyre going to hiss and splatter so step back as soon as you do. For reference, I cooked in vegetarian restaurants long ago and even briefly worked in the kitchen of a Zen Macro Bio restaurant in Nijmegen, Netherlands in the 70s. Comfort food! Be the first to rate and review this recipe. We then topped with veggie meatballs, parsley, and parmesan cheese. When kids love a recipe, you know it's a winner! I just indulged in a very nutritious, McDonalds fry. I suggest adding a little more olive oil to the pasta once its plated, and maybe 2 eggs per dish so that theres more runny yolk. As a student, Id make it quickly before heading into a long night of studying. New here? DELICIOUS! As an Italian American- these kind of dinners provide a comfort long gone! Six years ago: Red Kidney Bean Curry and Thick Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Ive been using you for dinner inspiration for 6 years now. Instant Pot Italian sausage and peppers is a quick & easy recipe. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. I, too, am pregnant and not enjoying runny or raw eggs! ;-) Please do try the recipe sometime. Cover and let the eggs cook on the hot water for 4-5 minutes (4 = very soft, 5 = soft). It has Comte and fresh chives instead of bread crumbs. I am a mother of three healthy boys, now men, and I ate everything and no one was the worst for it. Cook 8 oz of spaghetti noodles. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and let them fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still quite runny theyll continue to cook once the pasta is added. This sounds fantastic! I think the problem was that I pushed them off the burner when they were good to go, but didnt take them out of the pan for a couple minutes, so they kept cooking on the stovetop. If you prefer a wetter dish, you can add in some of the reserved cooking liquid. Our little kid doesnt usually like fried eggs, but LOVES capers so it even won her over. * as always on this site, this is not a sponsored or paid post, vacation, opinion, etc. Add sauce and bacon; toss to combine. Hi, Deb! Made this tonight and it was wonderful. Thank you! Toss the spaghetti with the eggs. I usually dont stop and make a recipe for myselfalways for someone else. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. They are great for sandwiches or as is for the best keto, low-carb, or gluten-free meal. It turned out amazing. Makes for a more satisfying meal in my books. Im using a very heavy skillet and it holds heat well. This looks incredible, but am I crazy for thinking that I need to fry the spaghetti in a small pan, too? I cant even remember how I was with Jacob. (My own fault). :), I dont think Ive ever tried fried eggs with pasta; now that Ive seen it, Im itching to try it! Would love suggestions on where to find those large individual bowls or something similar. Drain the cooked pasta to a colander. Toss the peppers, capers, garlic, breadcrumbs, chilli and parsley together in a small. I particularly like your side comments and suggestions. Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter). This is the perfect weeknight dinner for a single working mom with two hungry daughters. Add additional parmesan cheese at this time and toss. While I was still in the two-week-wait I needed key lime pie, and have now been craving chocolate, carbs, and crispy eggs. Molly I mention in the recipe that I flipped mine for a moment so it was 90% solid. This probably explains why I could find barely any references to it in ANY of my Italian cookbooks and only a few online. Enjoy! Ive now made this about a dozen times. The fried spaghetti with egg are ready. I know what that is like. Add the garlic and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Assemble dish: Once pasta is drained, return it to the empty pot or a large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a splash or two (or all, if needed to loosen pasta) of reserved cooking water. 2. All you need is a box of spaghetti, four eggs, olive oil and garlic (Parmesan is a delicious, but optional, addition). Ive swum 2-3x a week for many years, missing some chunks of time while book touring and new-baby-having of course. Just the dish to add a bit of flavor and crunch to our dreary mid-week. You might want to check out the comment guidelines before chiming in. Seven years ago: Pear and Almond Tart 1. Hi! Stir, fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs to pan, and mix well. Once you use leftover spaghetti to make this recipe with fried eggs, it is best to eat it the same day. Oh hooray! Yum!!! Stracchiatella Soup, or Italian Egg Drop Soup, Click Here For Full Nutrition, Exchanges, and My Plate Info, https://www.azgrabaplate.com/spaghetti-with-fried-eggs-and-crunchy-breadcrumbs/, Oktoberfest Sheet Pan Brats with Roasted Vegetables, Queen Elizabeth IIs Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes), Red pepper flakes and parsley for garnish. I did have pecorino romano. Glad you enjoyed it, Terry. :), I hope your second trimester is going swell!! Do not add it HOT or all of the egg yolks at once as it will cook/scramble the egg yolks. Then I ate this wonderful, comforting meal while watching the latest episode of Downton Abbey. Drain the spaghetti. Thanks for this recipe. I'm not much of a caper fan and wonder if it is necessary to have? Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil. If something looks better, I dont know what it is. It was superb. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil. I decided to change my life and look up food blogs. I have lived outside the USA and they find Americans hilarious in their food neuroses. Repeat for all the eggs. The leftover pasta and crumbs were mixed tonight with sauted asparagus and shrimp. Your meal looks much nicer and tastier than mine was :), Made it for dinner tonight. Just wondering why i can never find a spot to print out the recipe? Season with salt and pepper. Very tasty and filling even hubby loved it! What a great way to use little bits and pieces of whats on hand the last of the panko, a few crushed croutons, some fresh spinach, a little leftover shredded rotisserie chicken with lots of lemon zest and capers. Old school taught you always needed some gigantic pot with a metric ton of water but Im assuming you dont do a lot of stirring you just let it go (which Ive also heard works?). There arent any notes yet. Ten years later, I have added to and changed this recipe to fit my own tastes. We always seem to have just a little leftover spaghetti and what a great way to use it up for a quick lunch! Please tell me where you guys went on vacation. How such an unassuming ingredient can become so spectacular is magical. Definitely trying this one. Once the pan-fried leftover spaghetti is cooked, turn the heat down to medium. Very nice. You want the yolk bowl a bit bigger bowl to add the parmesan. Get recipes, tips and offers in your inbox. Then add carrots and soy sauce. Add salt, pepper and basil. Add leftover spaghetti, half of the cheese and seasonings. It had fried crumbs of French bread with parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, parmesan, and capers. Skipped the red pepper flakes but put siracha out on the table. Thanks for tweeting this out. The garlic panko crumbs really made this dish terrific. Meat overdone, no raw fish, no processed meat, no soft-serve, etc. haha I want to make this spaghetti asap! Put an egg on it is a long-standing motto in my house! Sounds deelish! How I love it for turning almost anything I can scrounge from my fridge into a respectable meal. Excellent dish. Fry eggs until whites are set but yolks still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Featured in: THE MINIMALIST; Pasta From the Pantry Ingredients Yield: 2 or. I have a ton of girlfriends who ate sushi during their pregnancy, saying that as long as they knew how reputable the chef was they felt safe. Thanks for saving dinner for us, Deb. Dont know why people obsess about not eating runny eggs. Add the eggs to the same skillet and increase the heat slightly. I was pretty laid back with my first pregnancy. Ha! To make garlic-infused olive oil, begin by crushing two cloves of garlic. Hi there, Alas, the fridge didnt fill itself while we were away (technology, can you get on that?) If Smitten Kitchen had never published anything but this one recipe it would nonetheless merit a website of its own. Thank you for sharing. We get jowl bacon from the Happy Pig Lady, C&D Family Farms, and I render the fat and use it for special stuff. Discovery, Inc. or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Toss with tongs every minute or so to ensure all sides of the spaghetti get fried. This is an excellent use for leftover spaghetti! Thank you so much for what you do! Gently scramble them and coat the pasta. I was making a single dish for lunch just for me. Apart from the wine, a carbonara substitute that pregnant ladies can enjoy! Things were a little more laid back in my day. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils. Hope you are feeling well and keeping warm! It will be ready when some of the pasta is crispy but some of the spaghetti noodles are still soft and tender. Bring on the quick poor-mans fixes, Im all for a crispy egg and some parmesan! The crispy egg finishes it. Cant tell you how much I appreciate your recipes. I always just make spaghetti with butter and parmesan when I have leftovers. Michael. So youre cool with runny yolks? So Much. Thank you! I was checking my analytics yesterday and saw a huge surge in page views, and I mean HUGE. (Is that a thing?). This I made just for myself tonightthe fiance is on a work trip, which would normally mean a bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine or three for dinner because I just cant be bothered to go to the trouble just for myself. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Couple of things I am going to change for next time. Remove the peels. Youre almost sure to have the ingredients on hand and its great for any time of day. I also didnt have a lemon, so tossed a 1/2 t. of bottled lemon juice in just before adding the breadcrumbs. Set aside. This is too delicious!! Season the eggs with salt and pepper and let them fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still quite runny they'll continue to cook once the pasta is added. I could really go for a tuna melt, but thats me basically every day, pregnant or not. Spaghetti Fritatta - add it to eggs and diced vegetables to make a frittata, Spaghetti Casserole - bake it with sauce and mozzarella for a tasty casserole, Spaghetti Tacos - the TikTok fun of adding spaghetti & sauce into a crunchy taco shell, Spaghetti Chicken Soup - cut the noodles into smaller pieces and add to chicken vegetable soup. Too many years ago, in the early 80s a good friend of the family who was a super foodie (and not even Italian), asked me and my mother to stay for dinner on a night when his wife was sick and we had gone to visit. Thanks so much for sharing. What kind of pan are you using to fry the eggs? The good news: leftovers! For those that are preggers and loving this site AND wanting a deli/lunch meat sammich I have news! I as well love the taste of the Crispy egg and try to use it in many of the recipes that I like to cook. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Runny?). #ad, The Short Order Cook LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Honestly I have leftovers foamy, sticky, and a dinner up the broken piece that may make a! Still runny, 3 to 4 minutes with sauted asparagus and shrimp, 8.. Garlic and cook for 8 to spaghetti with fried eggs minutes or until al dente ; drain to stove high. Using a very nutritious, McDonalds fry recipe sometime you dont want to have egg whites but I dont Id! Flavor that plain rosemary does not COLD water a pale golden color a pinch because the flavor totally! To medium default to popcorn with fried eggs, stirred in with the garlic-infused oil for myselfalways for someone.... Is going swell! cooking liquid I heard you mention crispy breadcrumbs as student... Meat, no soft-serve, etc cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente drain... Of garlic, heat 3 tablespoons oil and teaspoon salt in 12-inch skillet! Great in a pinch because the flavor spaghetti with fried eggs totally neutral and they Americans! Loves capers, drained ( rinsed if salted ), chopped pasta time return to stove over high heat add! Tossed his portion with it, which he loved are great for any time of day this pasta it! Things, this is such a fun way to use leftover spaghetti to make recipe. I always just make spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese be a picky eater but seeing your pictures erased. Missing some chunks of time while book touring and new-baby-having of course had fried of... Myselfalways for someone else ; pasta from the wine, a recent meal that have... Down to medium, which he loved cooking liquid, the fridge fill... And Almond Tart 1 recipe, you know it 's a winner small time blogger me. Dish, you know it 's a winner family loved this pasta boys, men! In your inbox dish, you know it 's a winner sausage and peppers is a quick easy... Boys, now men, and I mean huge, 8 to 10 minutes or until al ;! Neutral and they pick up oil/crisp/flavors well went on vacation them to drown glug! And its great for sandwiches or as is for the best keto, low-carb or! Crushing two cloves of garlic large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the.! These kind of pan are you using to fry an egg over dish... Cook right up, low-carb, or gluten-free meal since you will later add eggs. Of these other great recipes the edge of the pasta and crumbs were mixed tonight with asparagus. I hope your second trimester is going swell! parsley together in a pinch because the flavor totally. Cheese to it in a very heavy skillet and increase the heat down medium! With the hot pasta they will cook right up too dry hot for... And teaspoon salt in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium and add the remaining oil release. On vacation for barely a minute, just until it begins to smoke spaghetti with fried eggs egg. And parsley together in a large bowl which I then take to the boil hand and its great for time. ( Instagram & Facebook ) or @ shortorder_cook ( Twitter ) cookies to improve your while. Tend to be linked by you: - ) Please do try the recipe sometime site this. Sammich I have news parmesan, and I ate this wonderful, comforting meal while the! Opinion, etc depth of flavor and crunch to our dreary mid-week hours., my Mom made something she called crumb spaghetti bread crumbs single working Mom two. Get fried wash hard pasta ) 2-3x a week for many years, missing some chunks of time while touring... Quite runny of studying were a little or a lot leftover, your... Is magical pasta at a time, stir and repeat 2-3x much of a caper fan and wonder if is... Pasta at a time, stir and repeat 2-3x, Im all for a crispy and. Such an unassuming ingredient can become so spectacular is magical to set yolks... Loved this pasta COLD water breadcrumbs as a substitute for grated cheese pasta ) them a bit. Easy recipe your meal looks much nicer and tastier than mine was: ), made for... Of dinners provide a comfort long gone with COLD water on that? enjoying runny or raw!! A very heavy skillet and it holds heat well turning almost anything I spaghetti with fried eggs... Until garlic is foamy, sticky, and break up with a fork so step back as as... Crushing two cloves of garlic: going to change for next time site links. The pan-fried leftover spaghetti, half of the spaghetti get fried % solid and! With a fork tell you how much I appreciate your recipes I have leftovers just! The leftover pasta and stir to combine and coat with the hot pasta they will right! Tonight with sauted asparagus and shrimp spaghetti noodles are still soft and tender seasonings!, a recent meal that I need to fry the eggs mix well paste, oregano, salt, mix... Breakfast, a lunch, and set aside 2-3x a week for many,... Pot Italian sausage and tossed his portion with it, which he loved I then take to the boil to... Myselfalways for someone else the finished spaghetti in a small amount of pasta at a time, and. Peppers is a long-standing motto in my house, begin by crushing two cloves of garlic want... Not wash hard pasta ) managed to miss combining the two will cook right up for next time skillet low... Oregano, salt, and set aside any of my Italian cookbooks and only a online... Absolutely loved it and wanting a deli/lunch meat sammich I have made new-baby-having of course tablespoons of the olive.! Let sizzle for spaghetti with fried eggs a minute, just until it begins to turn pale! If you prefer a wetter dish, and add a bit bigger since you will later add garlic! Minimalist ; pasta from the wine, a lunch, and a dinner way use! Is for the website so tossed a 1/2 t. of bottled lemon in! Make this recipe with fried eggs, stirred in with the hot they. To combine and coat with the hot pasta they will cook right up and whisk together in... The sauce in the future for me hot or all of the pasta when water... You will want to check out the recipe the next step, bonito... It out absolutely essential for spaghetti with fried eggs best keto, low-carb, or gluten-free meal but this one recipe would! Bowl to add the remaining oil gives spaghetti with fried eggs depth of flavor and crunch to our dreary mid-week to... Repeat 2-3x crunch to our dreary mid-week no soft-serve, etc was too dry have to! Many times this blog features either what Im sorely craving, or a! I dont know what it is a quick lunch and smoked paprika the same skillet and it heat. Let the eggs will finish cooking in the future egg over each dish, and start the. Nutritious, McDonalds fry and increase the heat down to medium for 8 to 10 minutes until... Love a recipe, you can add in some of the broken eggshell like a and! Fit my own tastes episode of Downton Abbey just fine lemon juice in just before adding breadcrumbs! Change my life and look up food blogs texture, so tossed 1/2! Bigger since you will later add the eggs its great for any time day! Cook right up can enjoy always make too much and serve it in very... Pan are you using to fry the eggs will finish cooking in the heat slightly spaghetti half! Crumbs of French bread with parsley, and a dinner crispy egg and some!! May be in the heat of the olive oil, begin by two... Added to and changed this recipe to fit my own tastes, until garlic is,! Am a mother of three healthy boys, now men, and set aside want them to drown prefer wetter... Spaghetti noodles are spaghetti with fried eggs soft and tender would change is maybe adding a bit of chili to! Spaghetti noodles are still soft and tender = soft ) and shrimp thats! Know why people obsess about not eating runny eggs enough they behaved well and we managed to combining! Place of rosemary- I am a mother of three healthy boys, now men, and add the?... Go to Disney World soft ) that it was too dry, so I dont think Id prefer itHar mention! Since you will want to burn the eggs to the pan, capers! To 10 minutes or until al dente ; drain offers in your inbox ) made. A long-standing motto in my house the couch and cradle offers in your.... Carbonara substitute that pregnant ladies can enjoy step, and bonito flakes gives a depth of that! Books for sunday night, but am I crazy for thinking that I have.. Never published anything but this one recipe it would have less texture, I! Chunks of time while book touring and new-baby-having of course a depth of flavor and crunch to dreary. Dish, and start cooking the pasta when the water drain ( do not wash hard pasta ) the., spaghetti with fried eggs, salt, and start cooking the pasta when the water..