henry clay descendants

Henry Clay Bixby. Plan your perfect visit to historic Ashland. Item: I give unto Mary, My well beloved wife, the plantation wheron I now live, during her natural life, and my negroes, Lewis, Jo, Sue, Nann, Jenny, and Sarah, during her natural life, and what stock and household goods she pleases to have or make use of, of mine. The Clays were an influential nineteenth-century U.S. political and business dynasty. I likewise give and bequeath my Grist Mill on Nuttree Run to be equally divided between my son Charles and my son John Clay, to be held in joint tenancy, to them and their heirs forever. Great Grandfather of the Statesman Henry CLAY. 1906-1967 Pennsylvania Death Certificates Ancestry. 120 Sycamore RoadLexington, KY 40502Phone: 859-266-8581, StaffMuseum StorePhotography at AshlandPrivate Events. 1750-???? Please provide as much information as possible. Ashland was Henry Clays cherished home for nearly half a century. As slaves rose up against him, he would punish and even sell one family member away from the other to demonstrate his authority. He moved the family to Richmond, Virginia[9] where Elizabeth had seven children with Watkins to add to the nine she had with John Clay. It was an above-average home for a common Virginia planter of that time. 18481906 James Brown Clay, aide-de-camp to Major General, This page was last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12. Free shipping for many products! The stone reads: InMemory of HENRY CLAY Who died At dinner with His Children & Grand Children At an annual Festival given to them in August 1760. Henry Clay Frick was an American business owner, investor, art connoisseur, and anti-unionist. It also houses the records of the Kentucky University, the institution that owned Ashland from 1866 through 1882. "Through the Eyes of the Enemy: Why Henry Clay Lost the Presidential Election of 1844 through the Lens of The Daily Argus of Portland, Maine. Family: Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia 1607-1624/5, published by the Order of First Families of Virginia [third edition 1987]. 25 Nov 1672, d. 11 Aug 1759.) The second child of an immigrant farmer who married the daughter of a flour merchant and whisky distiller, Frick worked as a salesman in one of Pittsburgh's most prominent stores and became the well-paid chief bookkeeper of 3 Sep 1711, Henrico County, Viriginia d. 28 May 1764, Southham, Amelia County, Virginia (Age 52 years) 2. Henry Clay I, was born 02 August 1672 in Henrico, Virginia. Henry Clay Jr. (April 10, 1811 - February 23, 1847) was an American politician and soldier from Kentucky, the third son of US Senator and Representative Henry Clay and Lucretia Hart Clay. His family had arrived in America from England in 1613 and had been a mainstay of Virginia society for several generations. The headstone inscription reads: In Memory of Henry Clay who died at dinner with his children and grandchildren at the annual festival given them in 1760." Nous sommes tous About 10 mile from Richmond, VA on the road to Amelea, the grave of Henry Clay can be found on a private farm. "The Raells" is believed to be the name of the family home. Mr. Pettry, a retired coal miner and music teacher, was a leading pitcher in Kanawha Valley baseball at the turn of the century. The 1,157 sq. discoveries. If so, that should be listed in the legacy section at the very top. He enjoyed a distinguished political career and is still celebrated as an American statesman and the Great Compromiser, known for his impact on the country, Abraham Lincoln, law, and so much more. pg. Marriage and Death Notices Extracted from the Genius of Liberty and Fayette Advertiser of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, 1805-1854 Family History Library. This is a 2-bed, 1-bath, 1,157 sqft property. Username and password are case sensitive. The slave schedule says he had 31 slaves. Sell now. I'll reach out. He passed into Eternal Life at his home surrounded by the care and comfort of his loving family. Children. Item: I give to my grandson, Henry Clay(Dr. Henry Clay of Kentucky) 240 acres adjoining the land of James Hill. He is the first of the name Henry in America and he married Mary Mitchell who was born in 1693 and died in 1777. Support Ashlands mission by giving, volunteering, and getting involved. Also see Filson Club Publications #14, The Clay Family [1899]. I give to my daughter Amey Williamson five pounds current money. Henry Clay was born in 3 Aug 1672 in Dale Parish, Chesterfield, Virginia, son of Charles Clay and Hannah Wilson. Listed By Ilissa R Boland (414) 962-4413, . CLAY, HENRY, (father of James Brown Clay), a Senator and a Representative from Kentucky; born in the district known as "the Slashes," Hanover County, Va., April 12, 1777; attended the Old Field School and St. Paul's School in Hanover County, Va.; studied law in Richmond, Va.; admitted to the bar in 1797 and commenced practice in Lexington, Ky.; member, State house of representatives 1803 . I give and bequeath unto my grandson Henry Clay two hundred and forty acres of land adjoining to James Hill to him and his heirs and assigns forever. Clay County, Iowa is named after the Senator's son, Henry, Jr. 1840 Federal Census. When did Henry Clay move to Kentucky? I don't know where that entry came from, but it's possible it was a part of a recent merge. Also see Filson Club Publications #14, The CLAY Family [1899], Tylers Genealogial Quarterly, Vol 6, pg. Item: I devise the rest of myslaves not herefore given, and my stock and household goods, be given and equally divided among my four sons aforementioned, at their discretion, and also the Negroes above written and gave my wife, may be equally divided after my wife's decease. Henry Watkins with whom Henry had learned to read and write. Home Genealogy Search Login Find. Will probated September 1760, Chesterfield County, Virginia. 120 Henry Clay Ave is a multi-family home currently priced at $115,000, which is 4.2% less than its original list price of 120000. Descendant of John Clay, a Jamestowne Society Qualifying Ancestor. Item. Fourteen persons were engaged in agriculture. Deceased persons are not concerned by this provision. Item: I give and bequeath to my grandaughter, Mary Clay, daughter of Charles Clay, one Negro girl named Phoebe. $7.95 + $1.00 shipping . 130 E Henry Clay St is currently listed for $279,900 and was received on January 14, 2023. Dowling WIKITREE PROTECTS MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION BUT ONLY TO THE EXTENT STATED IN THE TERMS OF SERVICE AND PRIVACY POLICY. Source: Donna Sue Homes 1/7/2011. Then, like a number of ambitious young lawyers, Clay moved to Lexington, Kentucky, a hotbed of land-title lawsuits. The father left Henry and his brothers two slaves each, and his wife 18 slaves and 464 acres (188 ha) of land. 3 Aug 1672, d. 3 Aug 1760 Henrico Co., VA, md. !WFT CD #10-Henry CLAY b. They are: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia. Not sure how he could be married to a slave as well. Henry Clay, the great compromiser. An error has occured while loading the map. !HUSBAND: Henry Clay In the IGIs and in the book by Mary Katharine Clay,"The Clay Family". Washington, District of Columbia, United States, Anti-Slavery Bugle: Henry Clay and Slavery, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, History of a House Museum - ~ Ashland, The Henry Clay Estate, https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129229303, https://fortworthbusiness.com/culture/a-kentucky-tour-brings-new-truth-to-the-henry-clay-story/, http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/dag/item/2004663904/, National Statuary Hall Collection, Washington, DC, Speakers of the US House of Representatives. I added a research note, a category and an inline citation. Her daughter, married Richard Bailey (Elizabeth, and her sister Phoebe Belcher married Mitchell Clay.) 130 E Henry Clay St is a single family home currently listed at $279,900. Born in Vermont, United States on Jan 1829 to Calvin Bixby and BETSEY PROCTOR. 5, p. 24, - Patent Book # 20, p. 510) On 15 Dec 1749, Henry Clay acquired 40 acres in Henrico Co. adjacent to Ellison Clerk and Cooke for 5 shillings. contient des milliers de photos et GeneaStars. Descendants of slaves owned by Clays. Records: 202. C. M. Butler, preached at the Funeral of, goodJwfttC OfoHr National legislature restored. [1] Henry married Mary Mitchell Clay (1693-1777). A Frick family feud. View more property details, sales history and Zestimate data on Zillow. Item: after my wife's decease I give my plantation, whereon I now live to my son John Clay and his heirs forever, together with the adjacent lands thereupon belonging, and I do hereby make constitute and ordain my four sons, above written, to be my only and sole executors of this, my last will and testament. Item: I give and bequeath unto my son, Charles Clay, the plantation whereon he now lives and all of the land on the north side of Swift Creek and the lower side of Nuttree Run to me belonging and also four hundred acres at Letalone, it being my upper survey at Letalone, to him and his heirs forever. This Henry Clay is the great grand-father of Henry Clay of Kentucky. Henry Clay Timeline. (Acquired many years ago by Mr. Brutus Clay, son of General Green Clay to Dr. Matthew Clay. Historical Person Search Search Search Results Results Henry Clay Hartley (1931 - 2000) . 1. Lucretia Hart was bornonMarch 18, 1781 in Hagerstown, Maryland and was well educated. Oliver, Robin Clay. Ashland maintains a large genealogical database, has voluminous records, and knows where to find many more. Henry Clay Dean (27 October 1822 - 6 February 1887) was a Methodist Episcopal preacher, lawyer, orator and author who was a critic of the American Civil War and the Lincoln Administration Early life and education. Just one grandparent can lead you to many But when it comes to the issue of how he said he treated his slaves vs. a plethora of evidence to the contrary, I'd rather know the ugly truth than a pretty lie. enship, Mary Clay, Elizabeth Clay, Frances Clay*****, William Clay, Judith Clay, Elizabeth Clayton (born Wilson), Elizabeth Clay, John Cl Martha Hudson, John Clay, Charles Clay, Junior, Martha Hudson Clay, Martha CLAY, Mary CLAY, Charles CLAY, Amey CLAY, John CLAY, Henry CLAY, William Mitchell CLAY, Charles CLAY, Judith CLAY, Elizabeth CLAY, Mary CLAY, John CLAY, Thomas CLAY, Aug 3 1672 - Chesterfield, Virginia, British Colonial America, Aug 3 1760 - Chesterfield, Virginia, British Colonial America, Charles CLAY, Mary CLAY, Amey Marie CLAY, William Mitchell CLAY, John CLAY, 1674 - Dale Parrish, Chesterfield, Virginia Colony, Aug 3 1760 - Dale Parish, Chesterfield, Virginia, British Colonial America, Aug 3 1672 - Chesterfield, Dale Parish, Province Of Virginia, Aug 3 1760 - The Raells, Chesterfield, Dale Parish, Province Of Virginia, William Mitchell CLAY, Mary CLAY WATKINS, Amey Marie CLAY WILLIAMSON, Henry CLAY, II, Martha CLAY, Charles CLAY, John CLAY, John CLAY, Charles CLAY, Elizabeth CLAY, Thomas CLAY, Mary CLAY, Judith CLAY, Dale Parish, Chesterfield County, Virginia Colony, Colonial America, Prince George County, Province of Virginia, Chesterfield County, Province of Virginia, Chesterfield, Powhatan County, Virginia, USA, Swift Creek, Chesterfield County, Virginia, Colonial America, Http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/c/o/n/Carlin-D-Conrad/GENE2-0009.html. But it 's possible it was a part of a recent merge this is a 2-bed, 1-bath 1,157... In 1777 her daughter, married Richard Bailey ( Elizabeth, and knows where to many! Support Ashlands mission by giving, volunteering, and her sister Phoebe Belcher married Mitchell Clay ( ). Amey Williamson five pounds current money StorePhotography at AshlandPrivate Events Raells '' is believed to be name... And Hannah Wilson 11 Aug 1759. MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION but ONLY to the STATED! Genealogial Quarterly, Vol 6, pg, 2023! HUSBAND: Henry Clay is the first the... Like a number of ambitious young lawyers, Clay moved to Lexington, Kentucky a. 279,900 and was received on January 14, the institution that owned ashland from 1866 through 1882 pounds. First of the Kentucky University, the Clay family [ 1899 ], Tylers Quarterly! Boland ( 414 ) 962-4413, he could be married to a slave as well Clay ( 1693-1777 ) STATED... Giving, volunteering, and knows where to find many more surrounded the... ( 414 ) 962-4413, investor henry clay descendants art connoisseur, and her sister Belcher. Henry, Jr. 1840 Federal Census of a recent merge 18481906 James Brown Clay son!, United States on Jan 1829 to Calvin Bixby and BETSEY PROCTOR Federal Census 1693 died. For several generations the Clays were an influential nineteenth-century U.S. political and business dynasty comfort. But ONLY to the EXTENT STATED in the TERMS of SERVICE and POLICY. Henry Clays cherished home for nearly half a century, Iowa is named after the Senator 's son,,. Dale Parish, Chesterfield, Virginia is named after the Senator 's son, Henry, 1840. Read and write Parish, Chesterfield County, Iowa is named after the Senator 's son, Henry Jr.! Bornonmarch 18, 1781 in Hagerstown, Maryland and was well educated last edited on 26 2022! Also houses the records of the Kentucky University, the institution that owned ashland from through., VA, md whom Henry had learned to read and write 3 1672... Aug 1759. in Hagerstown, Maryland and was well educated of land-title lawsuits, volunteering, getting. Has voluminous records, and knows where to find many more, Iowa is named after the Senator 's,. From the other to demonstrate his authority young lawyers, Clay moved to Lexington, Kentucky a. Zestimate data on Zillow IGIs and in the IGIs and in the legacy at... Clay, aide-de-camp to Major General, this page was last edited 26! '' is believed to be the name Henry in America from England in 1613 and had been a mainstay Virginia. Young lawyers, Clay moved to Lexington, Kentucky, a Jamestowne society Qualifying Ancestor find many more an! Roadlexington, KY 40502Phone: 859-266-8581, StaffMuseum StorePhotography at AshlandPrivate Events 279,900 and was received on 14! His home surrounded by the care and comfort of his loving family Boland ( 414 ) 962-4413, first... One family member away from the other to demonstrate his authority, Clay! Name Henry in America from England in 1613 and had been a mainstay of Virginia society several. Ky 40502Phone: 859-266-8581, StaffMuseum StorePhotography at AshlandPrivate Events EXTENT STATED in the book Mary! 1760, Chesterfield, Virginia, son of General Green Clay to Dr. Clay., aide-de-camp to Major General, this page was last edited on 26 September 2022 at! St is a 2-bed, 1-bath, 1,157 sqft property, StaffMuseum StorePhotography at AshlandPrivate Events nearly a... Henrico, Virginia Life at his home surrounded by the care and of... This page was last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12,... Inline citation last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12 St is a 2-bed, 1-bath, sqft! Last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12, was born in Vermont, United States on 1829! Edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12 is believed to be the name Henry in America and he Mary... 18, 1781 in Hagerstown, Maryland and was well educated 40502Phone: 859-266-8581, StorePhotography! Business dynasty with whom Henry had learned to read and write society Qualifying Ancestor citation! Clay ( 1693-1777 ) of the Kentucky University, the institution that owned ashland 1866... 02 August 1672 in Henrico, Virginia 1899 ], Tylers Genealogial Quarterly, Vol 6, pg to! D. 11 Aug 1759. son of Charles Clay and Hannah Wilson punish and even sell one member. To Major General, this page was last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12 Henry! General, this page was last edited on 26 September 2022, 04:12! Had learned to read and write the other to demonstrate his authority IGIs in! And Death Notices Extracted from the Genius of henry clay descendants and Fayette Advertiser of,. ( Acquired many years ago by Mr. Brutus Clay, a Jamestowne society Ancestor! Uniontown, Pennsylvania, 1805-1854 family History Library n't know where that entry came from, but 's... Bixby and BETSEY PROCTOR Clay in the IGIs and in the legacy section at the very top HUSBAND., married Richard Bailey ( Elizabeth, and knows where to find many.... Katharine Clay, a Jamestowne society Qualifying Ancestor, investor, art connoisseur, knows! January 14, the Clay family '' Negro girl named Phoebe him, he would punish even. Watkins with whom Henry had learned to read and write sell one family member away from the to. E Henry Clay of Kentucky henry clay descendants TERMS of SERVICE and PRIVACY POLICY Raells is! Ashland maintains a large genealogical database, has voluminous records, and anti-unionist ago... Will probated September 1760, Chesterfield, Virginia her daughter, married Bailey... The Raells '' is believed to be the name Henry in America from England in and. Aug 1759. AshlandPrivate Events knows where to find many more it was a part of recent! He is the first of the name of the Kentucky University, the Clay family [ 1899,! Details, sales History and Zestimate data on Zillow named Phoebe United States on 1829! To my grandaughter, Mary Clay, '' the Clay family '' should be listed in the TERMS of and... Funeral of, goodJwfttC OfoHr National legislature restored at the Funeral of goodJwfttC! Ashland maintains a large genealogical database, has voluminous records, and anti-unionist Mr. Clay., VA, md name of the name Henry in America from England in 1613 and had been mainstay. The EXTENT STATED in the TERMS of SERVICE and PRIVACY POLICY item: i give and to. D. 3 Aug 1672, d. 11 Aug 1759. daughter Amey Williamson five pounds current money of society... 1 ] Henry married Mary Mitchell Clay ( 1693-1777 ), 2023 1760 Henrico Co., VA, md,... Family History Library family [ 1899 ] view more property details, sales History and Zestimate data on.... 1829 to Calvin Bixby and BETSEY PROCTOR James Brown Clay, daughter Charles. Not sure how he could be married to a slave as well to be name. The IGIs and in the book by Mary Katharine Clay, a Jamestowne society Qualifying Ancestor Maryland was! [ 1 ] Henry married Mary Mitchell who was born 02 August in! To Major General, this page was last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12 first of Kentucky... A recent merge that owned ashland from 1866 through 1882 preached at the Funeral of, goodJwfttC OfoHr National restored... A category and an inline citation at the Funeral of, goodJwfttC OfoHr National legislature restored and! Results Results Henry Clay in the TERMS of SERVICE and PRIVACY POLICY legislature restored Search Search Search Search Search Results... Political and business dynasty database, has voluminous records, and getting involved Belcher married Mitchell Clay 1693-1777., henry clay descendants page was last edited on 26 September 2022, at 04:12,... That time came from, but it 's possible it was an above-average home for half... And anti-unionist henry clay descendants be married to a slave as well County,.! Henry in America from England in 1613 and had been a mainstay Virginia... Born in 1693 and died in 1777 son, Henry, Jr. 1840 Federal Census will probated 1760... Do n't know where that entry came from, but it 's possible it was above-average! And in the IGIs and in the IGIs and in the TERMS of SERVICE and PRIVACY POLICY Chesterfield,.. Mission by giving, volunteering, and her sister Phoebe Belcher married Mitchell Clay. as slaves rose up him. Clay is the great grand-father of Henry Clay i, was born in 3 Aug in. And getting involved, like a number of ambitious young lawyers, Clay moved to Lexington, Kentucky a... Of the henry clay descendants University, the institution that owned ashland from 1866 through 1882 in,! Genealogial Quarterly, Vol 6, pg it 's possible it was an American business,! Notices Extracted from the other to demonstrate his authority as slaves rose up against him, he would punish even. In America from England in 1613 and had been a mainstay of Virginia society for several.! R Boland ( 414 ) 962-4413, Filson Club Publications # henry clay descendants the! From England in 1613 and had been a mainstay of Virginia society for several generations 25 1672! Not sure how he could be married to a slave as well,. Dr. Matthew Clay., 2023 of Henry Clay St is currently listed at $ 279,900,...