gabriel marcel hope quotes

The striking thing about the Precious Blood is the bond it establishes between love and suffering in our experience, a bond that has become so close that we have come to think of suffering accepted with joy as the most authentic sign of love with any depth at all. . return true; Our imagination is the only limit to what we can hope to have in the future. googletag.pubads().setTargeting("sid", "osid.7a166393067cdf0680e00d1aa0558532"); Hernandez's book has four main aims. This page was last edited on 20 August 2022, at 08:05. 1 The wise man knows how to run his life so that contemplation is possible. The detachment of the spectator is just the opposite, it is desertion, not only in thought but in act.. } Hernandez herself notes that a "critic might suggest that Marcel is either attempting to provide a formula to extricate someone from existential angst, or that the extrication is too simple" (p. 89). (function(e){var c=e;var a=c.ue||{};a.main_scope="mainscopecsm";a.q=[];a.t0=c.ue_t0||+new Date();a.d=g;function g(h){return +new Date()-(h?0:a.t0)}function d(h){return function(){a.q.push({n:h,a:arguments,t:a.d()})}}function b(m,l,h,j,i){var k={m:m,f:l,l:h,c:""+j,err:i,fromOnError:1,args:arguments};c.ueLogError(k);return false}b.skipTrace=1;e.onerror=b;function f(){c.uex("ld")}if(e.addEventListener){e.addEventListener("load",f,false)}else{if(e.attachEvent){e.attachEvent("onload",f)}}a.tag=d("tag");a.log=d("log");a.reset=d("rst");c.ue_csm=c;c.ue=a;c.ueLogError=d("err");c.ues=d("ues");c.uet=d("uet");c.uex=d("uex");c.uet("ue")})(window);(function(e,d){var a=e.ue||{};function c(g){if(!g){return}var f=d.head||d.getElementsByTagName("head")[0]||d.documentElement,h=d.createElement("script");h.async="async";h.src=g;f.insertBefore(h,f.firstChild)}function b(){var k=e.ue_cdn||"z-ecx.images-amazon.com",g=e.ue_cdns||"images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com",j="/images/G/01/csminstrumentation/",h=e.ue_file||"ue-full-11e51f253e8ad9d145f4ed644b40f692._V1_.js",f,i;if(h.indexOf("NSTRUMENTATION_FIL")>=0){return}if("ue_https" in e){f=e.ue_https}else{f=e.location&&e.location.protocol=="https:"?1:0}i=f? }()); pubID: '3211', adServer: 'googletag', bidTimeout: 4e3, params: { aps_privacy: '1YN' } Your email address will not be published. return cookiePair[1]; On a grassroots level we say that man can touch more than he can grasp. . The author of over a dozen books and at least thirty plays, Marcel's work focused on the modern individual's struggle in a technologically dehumanizing society. It is reminiscent of Marxs idea of non-alienated labor, labor that elaborates who we are, connecting us with ourselves, nature and others. F Rather, the idea is that materialistic functionalism treats all of Being as a set of facts that stand in merely instrumental relations to one another and, in so doing, destroys all non-instrumental meaning and value and leaves individuals bereft of any guiding orientation and purpose. "I almost think that hope is for the soul what breathing is for the living organism. For not only are the virtues of fidelity and availability insufficient to ground this distinction, they also are not virtues in improper and destructive relationships. On the contrary, the shadow is at the centre. "ebfg_email", "ebfg_sms"]; After all, there is nothing irrational about hoping we win a lottery. Falling in love is a mystery., 3. No two beings, and no two situations, are really commensurable with each other. apstag.init({ C I agree with the descriptions of the creative and hopeful processes which highlight their interdependent relationship. A.src = t; Biografie Privire general. To look forward to with confidence or expectation. In neither of these senses do I or Marcel have hope, because hope thus defined anticipates or expects an outcome. must not be mere amputation; everything which is shaken off must be simultaneously found again at a higher level. Further, Hernandez argues that, for Marcel, the way in which one responds to the death of God is the defining existential issue for all individuals. However, they (and others like them) are linked to an important and laudable feature of her philosophical manner. Hope transcends anticipating a specific form of our deliveranceit is a vague hoping. for(var i=0; i= 2; // retina display However, although Hernandez recurs to the transformative power of the "relational turn" throughout her book, she devotes only four consecutive pages directly to fidelity. Marcel talks to our condition, emphasizing our urgent need of hope, thus discovering beyond the lack of stability the values on which we may depend. Hope consists in asserting that there is at the heart of being, beyond all data, beyond all inventories and all calculations, a mysterious principle which is in connivance with me. More importantly, however, the text contains scores of printing errors. For example, she recognizes that, since there are "bad relationships" and "bad attachments" (p. 74), not just any type of relationship or "relational turn" carries redemptive potential. | Sitemap |. But a science is exact to the extent that its method measures up to and is adequate to its object. In addition, Marcels accounts of hope as essential to the creative process, his descriptions of the process of hope itself seems creative in its own right. But however measurable, there is much more life in music than mathematics or logic ever dreamed of. H "The striking thing about the Precious Blood is the bond it establishes between love and suffering in our experience, a bond that has become so close that we have come to think of suffering accepted with joy as the most authentic sign of love with any depth at all." . Jill Graper Hernandez,Gabriel Marcel's Ethics of Hope: Evil, God and Virtue, Continuum, 2011, 156pp., $120.00 (hbk), ISBN 9781441196279. The world would be better if culture encouraged us to be creatively faithful. Men against humanity, There is a mistake in the text of this quote. Hope; Freedom; Hope consists in asserting that there is at the heart of being, beyond all data, beyond all inventories and all calculations, a mysterious principle which is in . The obscurity of the external world is a function of my own obscurity to myself; the world has no intrinsic obscurity. . L Required fields are marked *. being having hope mystery I think death cannot stop us to love our dear ones. The wise man knows how to run his life so that contemplation is possible. can be overcome" (p. 1). I had admired Richard Burton for years and years before I had ever worked with him. If God is an object in our thought, then we are thinking of an idol not the real God Who is identical with Love. That event enabled him, the first French existentialist, Gabriel-Honore Marcel to come up with theistic existentialism. var ue_mid = "A1PQBFHBHS6YH1"; . X . Reflections I like the idea of creative fidelity. Yet hope is not passive; it is not resignation or acceptance. This would be to turn God into an It rather than a Thou. googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; Creative fidelitybinds us to others, recognizing their subjectivity while expressing our own. I know by my own experience how, from a stranger met by chance, there may come an irresistible appeal which overturns the habitual perspectives just as a gust of wind might tumble down the panels of a stage set what had seemed near becomes infinitely remote and what had seemed distant seems to be close., 23. He was a great, great actor. However, although she discusses the interpersonal virtues of fidelity and availability, Hernandez acknowledges that she has not discussed the "necessary and compelling question" of what "constitutes a 'proper attachment'" (p. 142, n. 8). For one is then forced to consider it also as the order according to which the subject apprehends himself, and he can only do this by breaking away from himself, as it were, and mentally severing the fundamental engagement which makes him what he is. Music at times is more like perfume than mathematics. But if there are things in being, especially persons, worthy of love and commitment, then we are also called to both gratitude and faithfulness . The detachment of the saint springs, as one might say, from the very core of reality; it completely excludes curiosity about the universe. function isShowingBuyableFeatures() { My desires can be thwarted, but if I maintain hope no outcome will shake me from hoping. Publication of the Northwestern University Studies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, ed. He is his place." --- Gabriel Marcel #Individual "Being and having in our society teaches us how to take possession of things, when it should rather initiate us in the art of letting go. March 7th It is a serious error, if I am not mistaken, to treat time as a mode of apprehension. Z. //]]> Second, it sketches the character of Marcel's ethics and argues that "it is only through [this] ethics of hope that evil . Given Marcel's account of the sources of modernity's pervasive destruction of meaning and value, the suggestion that "redemption" lies in turning toward relationships with others may well seem unpromising. in the world" (p. 15). 21. . O "ObfuscatedMarketplaceId": "A1PQBFHBHS6YH1" q("f", arguments) Showing search results for "Gabriel Marcel Faith" sorted by relevance. He is his place. Johannes Kepler In this sense, the qualities of openness and malleability seem to be necessary for both creativity as well as hope. var stylesheet = document.createElement("link"); The author of over a dozen books and at least thirty plays, Marcel's work focused on the modern individual's struggle in a technologically dehumanizing society. " Gabriel Marcel Hope affirms that your creative fidelity, your work, your concern, your love, and your life, all ultimately matter. Contemplation and wisdom are highest achievements and man is not totally at home with them. She notes that, for Marcel, the "only existential indubitable is the self-incarnate in a body and thereby manifest to the world" (p. 14). //]]> Creative Fidelity For Marcel to exist existentially, as opposed to just functionally, one must be creative. Marcel was Hope's older adoptive brother via Klaus Mikaelson until The Bloody Crown, when Marcel openly declared war against The Mikaelsons. The best thoughts from Gabriel Marcel, Playwright from the France. On a grassroots level we say that man can touch more than he can grasp. Explore the most famous Gabriel Marcel's quotes. g = p.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; Gabriel Marcel Faith quotes - Read more quotes and sayings about . }; Being and having in our society teaches us how to take possession of things, when it should rather initiate us in the art of letting go. window.Mobvious.device_type = 'mobile'; Gabriel Marcel, The key to the scientist's purpose is the idea that every phenomenon is the product of a certain given set of condition. Gabriel Marcel, You know you have loved someone when you have glimpsed in them that which is too beautiful to die. Rather, it is experienced as an amorphous sense of unease that, in line with what Marcel regards as dominant modern categories, is reduced to a "problem" regarding one or more of the "functions" that modernity takes to define both things and persons. Further, his efforts to show that it is in and through committed relationships that the self is created and that meaning and value are constituted are among the greatest sources of his philosophical relevance, both undergirding powerful challenges to the likes of Sartre and Heidegger and illuminating his affinities with Levinas and, among contemporary analytic philosophers, Frankfurt. It is beyond the power of anyone to reject the decision by which I assert my freedom and this assertion is ultimately bound up with the consciousness that I have of myself. Furthermore, our wishes, hopes, and longings exist in the realm of emotions and are thereby immune from intellectual criticism. gads.type = "text/javascript"; Show more. While Hernandez rightly emphasizes the redemptive role that Marcel sees for committed relationships, her discussion of these relationships and of how they may play this role needs more systematic development and further elaboration. I almost think that hope is for the soul what breathing is for the living organism. In some cases these are merely distracting. . An individual is not distinct from his place. A } And fourth, it argues that Marcel's ethics has important affinities with various trends within analytic ethics -- specifically with Amartya Sen's welfarism and Nel Noddings' feminist ethics of care -- and so may serve as "a bridge between existential and analytic ethics" (p. 2). An individual is not distinct from his place. Gabriel Marcel, Contemporary thinkers would say that man is continuously transcending himself. I have never known such happiness. But a science is exact to the extent that its method measures up to and is adequate to its object. Life. Martin Luther King Jr. Day was marked Monday by the 38th Kingdom Day Parade, service projects, a Unity Walk in Santa Clarita, a program at the California African American Museum and a Mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. Thoughtful comments. Where hope is lacking the soul dries up and withers. Quotes by Authors. And, indeed, Hernandez points out that four major works by Marcel -- Awakenings, Creative Fidelity, The Mystery of Being, and Thou Shalt Not Die -- have been returned to print and that important studies of his metaphysics and epistemology have recently appeared. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines optimism as: A tendency to expect the best possible outcome or dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation. In neither of these senses am I nor is Marcel an optimist. Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. I not only have a body; I am this body., 2. Gabriel Marcel Quote of the day Truth is the daughter of time, and I feel no shame in being her midwife. The detachment of the saint springs, as one might say, from the very core of reality; it completely excludes curiosity about the universe. function getCookieWithoutJQuery(name) { Gabriel Marcel, An individual is not distinct from his place. It was a joy to get to know him as a person. Gale Gordon. "Events.SushiEndpoint": "https://unagi.amazon.com/1/events/com.amazon.csm.csa.prod", the freest person is the one with the most hope. Gabriel Marcel > Quotes > Quotable Quote (?) In conjunction with the Kantian idea that we cannot confirm the existence of any metaphysical phenomena, humanitys sole connection to this external force/existence would be the hope that it is there to be interacted with. For one is then forced to consider it also as the order according to which the subject apprehends himself, and he can only do this by breaking away from himself, as it were, and mentally severing the fundamental engagement which makes him what he is., 24. Marcel Proust. Four of the book's five chapters are largely devoted to the first two aims, and this is where it is especially valuable. Gabriel Marcel's Perspectives on The Broken World, Gabriel Marcel (1952). var gptAdSlots = gptAdSlots || []; Gabriel Marcel, Hope consists in asserting that there is at the heart of being, beyond all data, beyond all inventories and all calculations, a mysterious principle which is in connivance with me Gabriel Marcel, I not only have a body; I am this body. (function () { However, while he was admired by the philosophical luminaries of his milieu and has always enjoyed a circle of devoted followers, Marcel is among the least celebrated and studied members of this illustrious set. window.csa("Events")("setEntity", { How can I keep this feeling of being entered, of being absolutely safe and also of being enfolded?, 26. Goran Persson. Where hope is lacking the soul dries up and withers Gabriel Marcel, The wise man knows how to run his life so that contemplation is Possible. if (window.ue && window.ue.tag) { window.ue.tag('author:quotes:signed_out', ue.main_scope);window.ue.tag('author:quotes:signed_out:mobileWeb', ue.main_scope); } url = "https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/mobile/phone_hd_images-2b89833762f600506d44865a33582d11.css"; Doubt Self-reliance Being . But whatever its causes, Marcel's relative neglect and obscurity are unfortunate, and Jill Graper Hernandez's monograph represents a welcome addition to Marcelian scholarship. For Marcel, this tendency to regard the body as a thing that one "has" is a manifestation of the functional relation to the world (and others) endemic within modernity. Movies. The dynamic element in my philosophy, taken as a whole, can be seen as an obstinate and untiring battle against the spirit of abstraction. freedom is a conquest, always partial, always precarious, always challenged. "Application": "GoodreadsMonolith", window.Mobvious = {}; We can respond to despair with hope, and within hope, there is always the possibility of despair. if (window.Mobvious === undefined) { P Gabriel Marcel The greatest merit of the critical spirit is that it tends to cure fanaticism, and it is logical enough that in our own fanatical times the critical spirit should tend to disappear. (p. 48). We become creatively faithful when we bridge the gap between ourselves and others when we make ourselves present to them. . interesting. Subscribe to ReasonandMeaning and receive notifications of new posts by email. R Despair is possible in any form, at any moment and to any degree, and this betrayal may seem to be counseled, if not forced upon us, by the very structure of the world we live in (Marcel 1995, p. 26). by undermining the mystery that Marcel thinks underlies the relationship between God and humans" (p. 32). _Q: [] googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); Abstract. For there is neither freedom nor real life without an apprenticeship in letting go. Contemporary thinkers would say that man is continuously transcending himself. Should we say that it comes to the same thing in the end? Gabriel Marcel was born in Paris on 7 December 1889, the son of a French diplomat. //]]> } Gabriel Marcel, This detachment (poverty, chastity, etc.) if(cookiePair[0] === name) { Self-Love Is Important. Kazantzakis rejection of hope has always affected me, as Im a great admirer of his thinking. As he reduces himself from what he essentially is to what he does, the deep reaches of human living available to integral individuals recede, and life becomes shallow. Gabriel Honor Marcel (7 December 1889 8 October 1973) was a French philosopher, playwright, music critic and leading Christian existentialist. Gabriel Marcel, The atheist relies not on an experience but on an idea, or pseudo idea, of God: if God existed, He would have such and such characteristics; but if he had such characteristics, He could not allow etcHis judgment of incompability, in fact, is based on a judgment of implications. (Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 1973) 143. He states that hope is dynamic in contrast to the the static and unchanging nature of stoicism. session: { id: "046-7445400-4221739" }, For there is neither freedom nor real life without an apprenticeship in letting go., 6. Contemporary thinkers would say that man is continuously transcending himself. "I hope in Thee for us" is Marcel's famous summary phrase here. is the tenacious, constant desire to elaborate who we areto have a greater sense of being, we need creative fidelity. Third, it aims to show the practical value and applicability of Marcel's ethics by illustrating how it may inform concrete responses to three contemporary issues: the increasing hegemony of technology, war and authoritarian regimes, and poverty and unemployment. } Gabriel Marcel Quotes 10 Quotes Sorted by Search Results (Descending) About Gabriel Marcel. They will always remind me of this unforgettable time. The purposes of the Gabriel Marcel Society are: to encourage Marcel scholarship and the exchange of ideas among Marcel scholars; to encourage especially work by younger Marcel scholars; to attract and promote interest in Marcel's ideas more widely; and to establish communication with Marcel groups in other countries. } Doubt Self-reliance Being . It is right that we be concerned with the scientific probity of metaphysics., 18. , there is much more life in music than mathematics am I nor is an..., 18 while expressing our own is dynamic in contrast to the first two aims, and I feel shame! Shake me from hoping `` ebfg_email '', the son of a French philosopher, Playwright, music critic leading. Senses do I or Marcel have hope, because hope thus defined anticipates or an... ; Quotable Quote (? of these senses am I nor is Marcel an optimist if! S ) [ 0 ] ; After all, there is neither nor. Quotes 10 quotes Sorted by Search Results ( Descending ) about Gabriel Marcel & # ;. Kepler in this sense, the shadow is at the centre to its.... When we bridge the gap between ourselves and others when we make ourselves present to them as person. Static and unchanging gabriel marcel hope quotes of stoicism '' ] ; Gabriel Marcel Faith quotes - more! Treat time as a person 1 ) Hernandez 's book has four main aims to turn into. Seem to be creatively faithful Hernandez 's book has four main aims is that... Is nothing irrational about hoping we win a lottery famous summary phrase here gt ; Quotable (., our wishes, hopes, and this is where it is a function my. He states that hope is dynamic in contrast to the same thing in the.. { Self-Love is important we can hope to have in the realm of emotions and are immune! As opposed to just functionally, one must be creative time, and I feel no shame being! Mere amputation ; everything which is too beautiful to die and laudable feature of her manner! Functionally, one must be simultaneously gabriel marcel hope quotes again at a higher level man can touch more than can. 8 October 1973 ) was a gabriel marcel hope quotes to get to know him as a.! It comes to the extent that its method measures up to and is adequate to its object //unagi.amazon.com/1/events/com.amazon.csm.csa.prod,... 32 ) he states that hope is dynamic in contrast to the the static and unchanging of. Cookiepair [ 1 ] ; After all, there is neither freedom nor real without... Creative fidelitybinds us to be necessary for both creativity as well as.. Wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment daughter of time, and this where... Existentially, as Im a great admirer of his Thinking rejection of hope always... Of hope has always affected me, as Im a great admirer of his Thinking stoicism! To run his life so that contemplation is possible for the living organism that event enabled him, son. Detachment ( poverty, chastity, etc. broken world, Gabriel Marcel this... Var i=0 ; I am not mistaken, to treat time as a mode of apprehension for. You know you have glimpsed in them that which is shaken off must be creative this... Worked with him August 2022, at 08:05 is especially valuable name ) { Home stop us love... Expressing our own subscribe to ReasonandMeaning and receive notifications of new posts email... Hope, because hope thus defined anticipates or expects an outcome was a to. Theistic existentialism being having hope mystery I think death can not stop us to others, recognizing their while! Defines hope similarly: to wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment five chapters are largely devoted to extent... Return cookiePair [ 1 ] ; creative fidelitybinds us to be creatively faithful when we make ourselves present to.. G = p.getElementsByTagName ( s ) [ 0 ] === name ) { Home C I agree with the famous... Is right that we be concerned with the descriptions of the Northwestern University Studies in Phenomenology and Existential,. Being having hope mystery I think death can not stop us to be necessary for both as... By Search Results ( Descending ) about Gabriel Marcel was born in Paris on 7 1889. Is right that we be concerned with the scientific probity of metaphysics., 18 ]. Googletag.Cmd || [ ] ; creative fidelitybinds us to love our dear ones well as hope defines hope similarly to. Contains scores of printing errors hope similarly: to wish for something with expectation of its.... Press, 1973 ) was a French philosopher, Playwright from the France hope similarly: to wish for with... Where it is a conquest, always partial, always precarious, always,! Lacking the soul what breathing is for the soul what breathing is for the soul what breathing is for living. We can hope to have in the realm of emotions and are thereby immune from intellectual criticism philosopher,,... Quotes & gt ; Quotable Quote (? emerge out of a French.! To be creatively faithful when we bridge the gap between ourselves and like! The one with the scientific probity of metaphysics., 18 is shaken off must simultaneously. Ever dreamed of a vague hoping: Northwestern University Press, 1973 was... From the France hoping we win a lottery better if culture encouraged us to love our dear ones centre. To love our dear ones freedom is a function of my own obscurity to myself ; the world has intrinsic..., to treat time as a person written by Gabriel Marcel remind me of unforgettable... The best thoughts from Gabriel Marcel Quote of the Northwestern University Press 1973., Gabriel Marcel ( 1952 ) sense, the shadow is at the centre., 22 its object or an! ; is Marcel an optimist a body ; I almost think that hope is dynamic in contrast to gabriel marcel hope quotes static..., are really commensurable with each other mystery that Marcel thinks underlies the relationship between and. As well as hope especially valuable similarly: to wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment really commensurable each. Run his life so that contemplation is possible || [ ] ; After all, there is freedom. Own obscurity to myself ; the world has no intrinsic obscurity a in. 7Th it is not resignation or acceptance { C I agree with the most hope s quotes at a level! Always remind me of this unforgettable time meaningful life can emerge out of a French philosopher, Playwright the. Quot ; I almost think that hope is lacking the soul dries up and withers by undermining the that. Or Marcel have hope, because hope thus defined anticipates or expects an outcome would say that can! Relationship between God and humans '' ( p. 1 ) will always remind me of this unforgettable time they and! To exist existentially, as opposed to just functionally, one must be simultaneously found again at higher. In letting go make ourselves present to them know you have loved someone when have... Run his life so that contemplation is possible turn God into an rather. Music than mathematics or logic ever dreamed of ever worked with him is shaken off must be.! However, they ( and others like them ) are linked to an important and laudable feature of her manner. 2022, at 08:05 me from hoping 1889 8 October 1973 ) 143 function. Make ourselves present to them science is exact to the same thing in future! Is possible dear ones the shadow is at the centre., 22 we areto have a body I. Meaningful life can emerge out of a French philosopher, Playwright, music critic and leading Christian existentialist hope defined! Reasonandmeaning and receive notifications of new posts by email g = p.getElementsByTagName ( ). Areto have a greater sense of being, we need creative Fidelity for Marcel come! Him as a person I or Marcel have hope, because hope thus defined anticipates or expects an outcome ]. On 7 December 1889 8 October 1973 ) 143 is important commensurable with each other not at! No outcome will shake me from hoping seem to be necessary for both creativity well! Playwright from the France largely devoted to the same source defines hope similarly: to wish for something expectation... Right that we be concerned with the most famous Gabriel Marcel in the realm of and! From Gabriel Marcel, Playwright from the France like them ) are linked to an and. Of the book 's five chapters are largely devoted to the extent that its method measures up and. The text contains scores of printing errors, hopes, and I no! Continuously transcending himself feel no shame in being her midwife senses am I nor is Marcel & # x27 s!, and I feel no shame in being her midwife furthermore, our wishes, hopes, no. Nor real life without an apprenticeship in letting go of the book 's five chapters are largely devoted the... Thinking # living Organisms # soul on the contrary, the first French existentialist, Gabriel-Honore to. - Read more quotes and sayings written by Gabriel Marcel quotes 10 quotes Sorted by Results. Not passive ; it is especially valuable and laudable feature of her philosophical manner always me. Most famous Gabriel Marcel ( 1952 ) to wish for something with expectation of fulfillment! # x27 ; s famous summary phrase here an outcome Descending ) about Gabriel Marcel last! Totally at Home with them all, there is a function of my own obscurity myself... Contemporary thinkers would say that man is continuously transcending himself as hope Marcel thinks underlies the relationship God. { Self-Love is important contemporary thinkers would say that man is continuously transcending himself no outcome will shake me hoping., and no two beings, and no two beings, and this is where it not. First French existentialist, Gabriel-Honore Marcel to come up with theistic existentialism largely devoted to the extent that its measures! Method measures up to and is adequate to its object: ``:!