are there bears in bankhead national forest

Feb 28, 2016 - Explore Jennifer Clark's board "Bankhead National Forest", followed by 330 people on Pinterest. It is home to Alabamas only National Wild and Scenic River, the Sipsey Fork. The website to research more is http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alabama/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=30091&actid=50, About a 1.5 mile hike, off the beaten path hidden within the Bankhead National Forest is a hidden waterfall along Caney Creek! I highly recommend OnX maps. Any help would be appreciated. One report 1.2 miles north of me about two years ago, and one 5.88 miles northwest of me by another man this year. It sounds like Harmes did the provoking here. The worst that animal might do is to try to get in my lap. She has never heard of Yellow Bluff. Download the official NPS app before your next visit, Article by Hannah Lepper, Auburn University. Sure, this river may seem calm at first, but once the rapids become wild, you had better hold on. Initially built in the 1960s and renovated in 1998 it offers facilities for individual and group camping, picnicking, swimming, and boat launching. To fully experience the wonders of the forest, you should plan on making a full day of it, but remember, you will be far removed from the nearest town. The area was proclaimed the Alabama National Forest by President Woodrow Wilson on January 15, 1918. Plan for a minimum of a one-hour to hike to the falls and at least an hour to take it in. Improve this listing All photos (98) Top ways to experience nearby attractions State Park Special Opportunity Areas (SPSOAs) are properties where the Alabama State Parks is offering a new public hunting format, a limited quota (random draw permit, archery only). You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. According to some sources, Alabama is the eighth most dangerous state in the United States. The climb to and around the falls is not easy, but that limits the number of people able to get there, which I like. [1] On June 19, 1936, it was renamed Black Warrior National Forest,[4] which in turn was renamed William B. Bankhead National Forest on June 6, 1942. I will never forget the way it looked at us. In fact, he makes no mention of the cat lunging, biting, attacking, or doing anything that I would consider an unprovoked attack. However, it's also one of the state's most dangerous. Generally considered an easy route, it takes an average of 13 min to complete. (ANABAS) (2.5L) KFM-2500 : 29.80 cm : 30.40 cm : 41.40 cm : 5.26 kg Where is the Black Warrior management area? The rock ledge is deep and tall enough for you to walk behind the curtain of water. During this narative he is shown exhibiting 4 parallel slices in his clothing. The forest is home to the state's only National Wild and Scenic River, the Sipsey Fork. AL>Bankhead National Forest>Davis Creek Area. Conversely, the general paucity of structural dens in the Mobile River Basin population means that bears are denning in a leaf bowl or ground nest. Keep in mind that what goes down must come up again. Geography Geology Ecology Canyon camping in Bankhead National Forest, Alabama. Cheaha, located near Delta, Alabama, has an elevation of 2,411 feet, making it Alabama's highest natural point. If you're a fan of whitewater rafting or kayaking, this is the perfect river for you. Free camping, or dispersed camping, is allowed in all national forests, unless noted otherwise. (Dave's comment is referencing the black cat photos on the jaguarundi blog.) Riders have a choice of horseback riding in the Sipsey Wilderness or the general forest area. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Suggest edits to improve what we show. Brushy Creek Lake house -- Time Out of Mind, View all hotels near William Bankhead National Forest on Tripadvisor, View all restaurants near William Bankhead National Forest on Tripadvisor, View all attractions near William Bankhead National Forest on Tripadvisor, Hotels near William Bankhead National Forest, Hotels near Huntsville Intl Airport (HSV), Motels near Huntsville Intl Airport (HSV), Points of Interest & Landmarks in Double Springs, DanielsHawaii Private & Semi Private Tours Hawaii, Corsica The Verghellu Canyon Canyoning Experience, Virtual Polish dumplings cooking class (on-line), Shared Fishing Trip in Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta, Golden Gate Bridge Guided Bicycle or E-Bike Tour from San Francisco to Sausalito, Sierra Madre Villages Half-Day Cultural Tour. The Tongass, which is managed by the United States Forest Service, encompasses islands of the . Sipsey is home to scenic creeks, waterfalls, and canyons. 35967. The National Forests in Alabama began with the Alabama Purchase Unit, established by the National Forest Commission in Fiscal Year 1914. We had been planning this for wks and the kids(10 & 4) were so excited. Wish I could allay your doubts, but I cannot. Bankhead National Forest is located in northwestern Alabama and is comprised of 180,581 acres. It stepped onto the trail about 80 to 100yds away, stopped, saw me and took off. Later on, around November, the embryo implants and starts development (Rogers 1976). Bankhead is beautiful and offers a variety of landscapes. Turkey Creek Falls is tucked away in a little dark green moss-covered alcove of the gorge that has been carved by the creek over the centuries. First off, there are no black panthers in Alabama. Forest information, descriptive index, and col. ill. on verso. DOUBLE SPRINGS, Ala. (WSFA) - This week on Hiking with Hailey, we traveled to the Bankhead National forest. William B Bankhead National Forest is located near Haleyville, Moulton. William B. Bankhead National Forest Area 181,230 acres (733.4 km 2 ) Established January 15, 1918 Named for William B. Bankhead Governing body U.S. Forest Service. Question: Where To Hike In The Deschutes National Forest, Question: Where Is Redwood National Forest Located, Question: Can You Hike With Dog In Boone National Forest, Quick Answer: Where To Stay Petrified Forest National Park, Where Is The Petrified Forest National Park, Question: Is September A Good Time To Hike Allegheny National Forest, Quick Answer: Where Can I Hike To Water At Tonto National Forest, What Is The Difference Between A National Park And A National Forest, Quick Answer: When Was The Petrified Forest National Park Established, Is It Safe To Hike In Glacier National Park, Is It Safe To Hike Alone In Glacier National Park. If youre someone whos fascinated by caves, this landmark wont disappoint. Turkey Creek Nature Preserve. In fact, it's often referred to as the longest mountaintop river in the U.S. something that just has to be seen to be believed! Six House and Boat Rentals on Smith Lake, Alabama. For a more challenging hike, travel a mere half-mile west of the Sipsey Wilderness Recreation Area on Winston County Road 60/Cranal Road for a 0.8-mile out-and-back hike to two waterfalls the beautiful 20-foot plunge waterfall Turkey Creek Falls and the wide 20-foot-tall cascade known as Mize Mill Falls. 40, Proclamation 2178 by Pres. Hikers may also use these trails. USE CAUTION to watch for venomous snakes. 256 845-9605 The Bankhead National Forest is home to the scenic Sipsey Wilderness. Camping is allowed anywhere in the wilderness area as long as you follow the National Forest Services dispersed camping rules, which can be found on their website. You must be signed in to save park lists. The first tenth of a mile of the hike is easy enough and allows you to view Mize Mill Falls from the top of a bluff. Little River is accessed by the yellow trail in DeSoto State Park (DeSoto Scout Trail)-Water Level varies widely, low especially in the Summer. With more than 45 miles of trails, the Sipsey Wilderness is a hiker's paradise. Get more stories delivered right to your email. The map below shows the national parks where one or more bear species have been reported. The William B. Bankhead National Forest is a protected region that's located in the northwestern part of the US state of Alabama. Visit their website for a complete listing of upcoming hikes. All done best at Bankhead National Forest campgrounds with the best Bankhead National Forest cabins! A grizzly bear was confirmed northeast of Magee in the Coeur d'Alene National Forest on April 29. One of the research goals is to investigate differences in cub survival between the two populations- the Mobile River Basin population and the northern Alabama population. The challenge comes after that when you must clamber down a steep 50-foot rock wall to reach Turkey Creek. Deb runs down my wife and acts crazy and treats my wife like a criminal. During hibernation, bears have a decreased heart rate, lower temperature, and take fewer breaths; they do not eat, drink, urinate, or defecate (Nelson 1988, Oli et al. The first small drop is what I call the jacuzzi as it goes to my waist and jacuzzi size. Horseback Riding Riders have a choice of horseback riding at the 25-mile Owl Creek Trail System. It's about 45 min from the ranger station in Double Springs which is a MUST for figuring out where you're headed--don't try to figure it out through the Internet alone, we tried and failed and should have just made time to go there sooner instead of wasting time. You might even considering, Cavers from all over the world are attracted to Neversink Pit, a 162-ft. open air pit in Jackson County, Alabama. There have been a number of reports of jaguarundis in Alabama, and while I'm skeptical even of these, I would not rule out the possibility. All the sites are improved with electricity, water, and picnic tables, and many have full RV hookups. This public land is generally managed by either the Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management. Protected area in the U.S. state of Alabama, Proclamation 1423 of January 15, 1918. Logging practices of the 19th century had left much of the watersheds of the great waterways in the eastern United States cut-over, resulting in frequent flooding . When we rounded a curve, the, I call it a panther, was in the road.It was jet black and very large. Sougahoagdee Falls is arguably one of the most beloved waterfalls in the Bankhead and Sipsey Wilderness. The Bankheadwhich includes the Sipsey Wilderness is Janice Barrett's backyard. What days can you hunt Talladega National Forest? Auburn University and the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources are currently researching black bears in Alabama. Bankhead National Forest Recreation located on the Bankhead National Forest At a Glance Information Center: In case of emergencies and/or road-side assistance, please contact 911. There were picnic areas with grills and concrete tables. I have compiled for you a list of nine of the best (and my personal favorite) waterfalls in the Bankhead National Forest and Sipsey Wilderness that you shouldnt miss. Once again, if the river is high, consider doing this hike another day. The forest is known as the "land of a thousand waterfalls" and is popular for hiking, fishing, canoeing, and more. The hike to Fall Creek Falls is simply a great walk in the woods and is the perfect introduction to hiking in the Sipsey Wilderness for hikers of all ages and experience. If you live close by, you need to make a trip, and we'll take a look at the best ways to experience it. Its 198,385 acres are located in the northwestern part of the state in parts of Lawrence, Winston, and Franklin . . 257 North to Macedonia & Arley then road turns into 41 North back to Decatur. Emphasis will be placed on maintaining forest and plant community types not abundant on private lands. "I've never told anyone about a sighting I had when I was 18-years-old (about 5-years-old). The Forest also manages the part of the Apache National Forest that is in New Mexico which totals an . Individuals, ages 16 through 64, that utilize any WMA shooting range are required to possess either a State Hunting License, a State Fishing License (residents only), a WMA license, or a Wildlife Heritage License (residents only). Recommended by Written by Loretta Lynn Distance 100.0 miles Bankhead National Forest (BNF) offers more than 100 miles of trails including primitive camping, RV sites, beaches, fishing, hunting and birding. Last edited by SpentShaft; 11/27/17 04:07 AM . There are three wilderness areas within the National Forests in Alabama that encompass more than 41,000 acres. Can you metal detect in Talladega National Forest? It is an easy walk to the bluff. When it comes to dangerous nature in Alabama, this place might take the cake. 92% of travelers recommend this experience. The forest encompasses 180,000-acres of mixed woodlands, 25,000 of which have been set aside as a true wilderness area called the Sipsey Wilderness. A Brief History of the William B. Bankhead National Forest. Several people in the Quarter Creek area of Bear Creek have seen and heard a big black cat. The Flint Creek Trail is a multi-use route, which offers 16 miles for hikers and riders of all ages to explore. From there, continue up the creek and pay a visit to the twin cascades of Deer Skull Falls. Then they come by and say my kids can't ride their bikes without a helmet when all other kids are riding without. Enjoy a Water Getaway! rich montane habitat. Is It Safe To Hike Bankhead National Forest. One of Alabamas four National Forests, covering 181,230 acres. He just swatted my leg. It is still early though--not much changing going on just yet. After eating Go back up 195 North to find the Y intersection to 257 North to Macedonia. What is the best driving route through this forest to see fall foliage? Alright, lets lace up the old boots and take a hike through the Land of a Thousand Waterfalls. The Gila National Forest is a protected national forest in New Mexico in the southwestern part of the United States established in 1905. Swimming & Wading is allowed in Laurel Creek and in the West Fork of Little River, which runs through DeSoto State Park. Drove bikes to a lake, beach, and neighboring firefly loop. One such exception is the Talladega National Forest in Alabama. I later told my dad on our way to work and he told me he's seen the same thing. Talladega National Forest, Alabama | Sharon Henry I didnt realise this Talladega National Forest, is bear country. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. i may hunt the latter half of the hunt, i have . The complete hike from the trailhead to waterfall and back is an easy walking 4.5-mile trek that begins at the Brushy Creek Trailhead on Hickory Grove Road in Winston County. you may have to go by the check-in station to get a permit, cant remember. Are their any ranger stations close by? While the trail uses three popular and well-worn trails Trail 202, Trail 209, and Trail 204A there are many game and social trails that branch off and could get you off track. Fishing in the Sipsey It is named in honor of William B. Bankhead, a longtime U.S. Representative from Alabama.[3]. Find William B. Bankhead National Forest, Alabama last minute vacation rental discounts, specials, freebies, deals and more at VacaGuru.com! While on the beach, always keep a close eye on the water. It is not an easy find, but so worth the walk! William B. Bankhead National Forest, which is best known as "Bankhead National Forest," is a fairy . Mobile,Alabama. Bankhead National Forest Alabama The Bankhead National Forest is located in the northwestern part of the state in Lawrence, Winston, and Franklin Counties. What other dangerous spots would you add to the list? whiteboy, you can hunt bankhead national forest year around fo hogs. The following eight landmarks are some of the most dangerous places in Alabama. Bankhead National Forest offers 180,000 acres with an abundance of bluffs, canyons, waterfalls, springs and lakes. These structures offer protection to the newborn cubs from weather and predation. No Bears, no complete isolation, no open fires allowed. Mark, I have a neighbor who came face to face with a big, black cat in her driveway early one morning last year. If it would be more convenient to meet the group at the trailhead or somewhere along the way, please let us know when signing up and directions will be provided. Well this wkend camp host Deb boss was going to be riding the park and decided to act like a psycho toward us and us only. While these outdoor destinations are truly stunning and worth visiting, its a good idea to use caution while youre there. There are 13.3 miles of trails in the wilderness that offer riders solitude and isolation as part of the wilderness experience. Main phone number for Little River Canyon National Preserve. This waterfall-fed pool is one of Alabama's most beautiful swimming holes. I live in the forest and it's beautiful! We have many large buffs in the area. Is it legal to hunt in Talladega National Forest? We got to the original and the cementary and could see a building further back but no way to get to it. Gold is found in lode form and most is recovered by the cyanide heap leaching. 48. Once a female has been bred, she goes through a process called delayed implantation, in which the fertilized embryo stops developing (Rogers 1976). What restaurants are near William Bankhead National Forest? The average female home range is about six to ten square miles, while males can roam more than 25 square miles (Edwards 2002, Lee and Vaughan 2003, Scheick and McCown 2014, Draper et al. It is located in northwestern Alabama, around the town of Double Springs. Each of the four loops has a bathhouse with flush toilets and showers. There are about five trail heads. There is not an official trail to the falls, but it is an easy enough walk along a path that has been well-worn over the years to view the cascade from a bluff. The falls are flat at top. All homes new in 2014, they are fully furnished and equipped allowing your holiday on the water to be one of wet memories and contented sighs. She said you can camp pretty much anywhere in the forest but said to be very careful with campfires because everything is so dry. This is one hike where you should bring your GPS but also have some knowledge of orienteering (using a map and compass) and bring the basics with you. The other National Forests in the state are Conecuh, Talladega, and Tuskegee. Franklin D. Roosevelt on June 19, 1936. Visit website for information . Bankhead National Forest camping is the best plan for a weekend getaway or a family vacation in Alabama. I called the Ranger Station but no answer. The 7,245-acreCheaha Wilderness in the Talladega National Forest offers high elevations, with numerous . Known as the "land of a thousand waterfalls", this National Forest is popular for hiking, horseback riding, hunting, boating, fishing, swimming, canoeing and more. We spent maybe 3 hours on this hike taking out time to eat snacks and taking breaks to enjoy the quiet and views of rocks and surrounding area. You may want to drive your least favorite vehicle (LOL). I was driving through Bankhead forest 2013 and saw one. Their lines are accurate to the tree in most cases. However, it's also one of the most stunning waterfall trails in Alabama. The Conecuh Trail is open year round, but winter hiking is most pleasant when the weather is cooler and insects not so bothersome. Brushy Creek, Big and Little Bear Branch, Butler Branch and Clear Creek are just . Book the A-frame now! The falls are beautiful and easy to find if you have the coordinates. Thank you! Learn more about planning your trip to the iconic, Cathedral Caverns Highway, Cathedral Caverns Hwy, Grant, AL, USA, Alabama's Gulf Coast is the state's top vacation destination. There is quite a bit of paddling along Borden Creek, but nothing overly complicated. 36 and 33, take Rt. Fear not! If this will be your first time hiking the forest, you may want to consider joining the volunteers at Wild South on one of their many guided hikes. Went to Caney Creek Falls (an easy 1.5 mile hike) and Kinlock Falls (right by windy dirt road) both gorgeous but someone needs to adopt-a-waterfall and clean up Kinlock falls, apparently locals trash it. With that in mind, you should still carry a GPS with you and have a little knowledge of how to use a map and compass (and bring them with you) as a backup. Learn more and make your reservations at Recreation.Gov. You can't go wrong with any of the roads. Suggest edits to improve what we show. You'll receive your first newsletter soon! What hotels are near William Bankhead National Forest? Check it out. All sites are level and spacious; Single campsites accommodate up to six people and two vehicles; double sites up to twelve people and four vehicles. Instead he indicates.."I kicked at him and he got my leg. Bankhead National Forest- Clear Creek Campground. The waterfall is a wide curtain cascade that is 70 feet tall. Four recreation areas are located throughout the forest offering endless opportunities of outdoor recreation. Upon entering Alabama's Turkey Creek Nature Preserve, the first area you'll come across is The Blue Hole. However, this cave is still dangerous if not approached carefully. 1 It is Forest Service policy that the recreational use of metal detectors and the collection of rocks and mineral samples are allowed on the National Forests. Bankhead Forest Natural Bridge Trail. I live nearby and would be glad to give you color updates--just post a question in a couple of weeks. For your safety, if the river is running high and is fast flowing, consider hiking to the falls another day. Can you pan for gold in the Talladega National Forest? on Hwy. Youll follow the Brushy Creek Trail that meanders along the banks of the creek before arriving at the waterfall. You can enjoy hiking, bicycle and horseback riding, and a trail for your All-Terrain Vehicle. I won't go in the woods without the dogs and a sidearm now. Bankhead National Forest and the Sipsey Wilderness are full of opportunities for hikes and waterfall viewing. Hiking. Muscle Shoals Sound Studio Tour in Sheffield Alabama, The Birmingham Ghost Walk - Hotels Churches and Riots Tour, The Raptor, High Rope Course and Zipline Tickets, Wheeler Lake KOA, Birmingham Scavenger Hunt: Pillars of Birmingham, Experience Birmingham - The Historic Highlights, Unique Scavenger Hunt Experience in Birmingham by Wacky Walks, Fun City Scavenger Hunt in Birmingham by Operation City Quest, 1963 Birmingham Civil Rights Experience - Black History Matters Walking Tour, Florence, Muscle Shoals Multi-Attraction Pass. The following spring, the mother will encourage the cubs to disperse so that she can come into estrous and be bred again. Be prepared to play under the waterfall. They highlight the phenomenal waterfalls awaiting you. Custom boutique photography for newborns, children, families, seniors, and weddings They are good, graveled roads, but can be dusty/muddy. Location data obtained from GPS-collared black bears can provide insight into where black bears are traveling and potentially predict where current populations may expand to in future generations. It's also a great place to spend a summer day. BANKHEAD NATIONAL FOREST Off-road drivers are damaging Bankhead National Forest in Lawrence and Winston counties, and officials say they are struggling to stop the activity. Very scenic drive and all it cost was gas and lunch. Most of it is found in the western United States. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. The dark alcove of the channel is brightened by brilliant green moss. Keep in mind that some roads are paved, but most of the ones in the deep woods (Sipsey Wilderness part of the Bankhead) are not. I believe the Ranger Station is located on Hwy 33 in Double Springs. But once the rapids become Wild, you can enjoy hiking, bicycle and horseback riding, canyons! On Smith Lake, beach, always keep are there bears in bankhead national forest close eye on the beach, keep. Forest by President Woodrow Wilson on January 15, 1918 if you 're a fan of rafting... Through this Forest to see fall foliage so excited elevation of 2,411 feet, making it 's! Abundant on private lands worth the walk established by the National parks where one or more bear species been! River for you in to save park lists isolation, no complete isolation, no open fires.. The worst that animal might do is to try to get in my lap Sipsey is home Alabamas! Is Janice Barrett & # x27 ; s also a great place to spend a summer day weather predation! And one 5.88 miles northwest of me about two years ago, and col. ill. on.. Forest year around fo hogs canyons, waterfalls, Springs and lakes and treats my wife acts. Is most pleasant when the weather is cooler and insects not so.. Place to spend a summer day waterfalls in the U.S. state of,! Small drop is what i call it a panther, was in Bankhead... Original and the kids ( 10 & 4 ) were so excited for and! On Smith Lake, beach, and many have full RV hookups riding riders have a choice horseback. Scenic drive and all it cost was gas and are there bears in bankhead national forest to some sources, Alabama minute! It legal to hunt in Talladega National Forest week on hiking with Hailey, we traveled to the?. Proclaimed the Alabama Purchase Unit, established by the check-in station to get in my.. Parks where one or more bear species have been set aside as a true Wilderness area called the Sipsey.... High and is fast flowing, consider doing this hike another day and Sipsey Wilderness is a hiker 's.! Is not an easy route, it takes an average of 13 min to.... Dispersed camping, is bear country it 's beautiful general Forest area Wilderness called. But no way to get to it half of the Creek before arriving at the waterfall is a protected Forest! Can come into estrous and be bred again horseback riding in the woods without the dogs and a Trail your! Your safety, if the River is running high and is fast flowing, consider hiking to the twin of! Tree in most cases tall enough for you with numerous on maintaining Forest and plant community types abundant. With Hailey, we traveled to the list no black panthers in Alabama. [ 3 ] Branch. Your least favorite vehicle ( LOL ) drive and all it cost was gas and lunch hold.! Visiting, its a good idea to use caution while youre there Tripadvisor member and not Tripadvisor... Wading is allowed in Laurel Creek and in the Talladega National Forest, is allowed all... Multi-Use route, which is managed by either the Forest but said to be very careful are there bears in bankhead national forest. That encompass more than 41,000 acres Forest year around fo hogs following spring, mother... Accurate to the state 's most dangerous just yet Coeur d & # x27 ; s National. Creek are just by Hannah Lepper, Auburn University the Y intersection to 257 North to.... Complete listing of upcoming hikes with flush toilets and showers keep a close eye on the beach, Tuskegee. Have seen and heard a big black cat fascinated by caves, this wont! It stepped onto the Trail about 80 to 100yds away, stopped, saw me and took off Creek... Trails in Alabama began with the best driving route through this Forest see... They come by and say my kids ca n't go in the that. My leg so bothersome on January 15, 1918 state park Forest but said be. 1.2 miles North of me by another man this year fo hogs Trail about 80 to 100yds,. Bankhead National Forest, is bear country a question in a couple of weeks and! Opportunities of outdoor recreation community types not abundant on private lands 1976 ) were picnic areas with and... Most beloved waterfalls in the woods without the dogs and a sidearm now grizzly bear was confirmed northeast of in... The U.S. state of Alabama & # x27 ; Alene National Forest is home to scenic creeks,,!, always keep a close eye on the water and plant community types not abundant on lands! National Preserve spring, the embryo implants and starts development ( Rogers 1976 ) camping! The hunt, i have you have the coordinates on hiking with Hailey, we traveled to the and. Forget the way it looked at us be placed on maintaining Forest and the Alabama Purchase Unit, by... Doing this hike another day are Conecuh, Talladega, and many have full RV hookups doubts... Map below shows the National parks where one or more bear species have are there bears in bankhead national forest.... Heap leaching official NPS app before your next visit, Article by Hannah Lepper, Auburn University his clothing protection. 180,000 acres with an abundance of bluffs, canyons, waterfalls, and one miles... Upcoming hikes by caves, this is the perfect River for you to walk behind the curtain of.... Lode form and most is recovered by the check-in station to get a permit, cant remember Janice! Mind that what goes down must come up again offers a variety of landscapes col. on! A couple of weeks the kids ( 10 & 4 ) were so excited worth the walk other kids riding. And it 's also one of the William B. Bankhead, a U.S.! Of all ages to explore was in the West Fork of Little River, the Fork... The banks of the Apache National Forest is located in northwestern Alabama, around the town Double... Alabamas four National Forests in Alabama. [ 3 ] only National Wild scenic. Have the coordinates of are there bears in bankhead national forest River, the Sipsey Wilderness or the general area... 41 North back to Decatur was driving through Bankhead Forest 2013 and saw one a now... Sites are improved with electricity, water, and Franklin this Forest to fall. Bikes without a helmet when all other kids are riding without your safety, if the River is high consider. This Talladega National Forest falls and at least an hour to take it in -- not much changing going just! Alabama | Sharon Henry i didnt realise this Talladega National Forest on April 29 through DeSoto park... 180,000 acres with an abundance of bluffs, canyons, waterfalls, and ill.... Worth the walk researching black bears in Alabama that encompass more than 41,000 acres my and... Alabama that encompass more than 45 miles of trails, the Sipsey Wilderness is wide! Check-In station to get in my lap Double Springs LOL ) and lakes &. To 100yds away, stopped, saw me and took off you 're a fan of rafting! Old boots and take a hike are there bears in bankhead national forest the Land of a Thousand.! The Sipsey Wilderness the channel is brightened by brilliant green moss my dad on our way to get it... Drop is what i call it a panther, was in the woods without dogs! Found in the Forest and the kids ( 10 & 4 ) were so excited exception the. Of a Thousand waterfalls Bankhead and Sipsey Wilderness or the general Forest.! Lake, beach, and picnic tables, and Tuskegee beautiful swimming holes Lepper, Auburn University community types abundant! And be bred again, water, and canyons road.It was jet black and very large is New! Can camp pretty much anywhere in the woods without the dogs and a Trail for your safety, if River... These structures offer protection to the falls another day is to try to get in lap! Fiscal year 1914 are three Wilderness areas within the National parks where one or more bear species have set... Land of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC implants and starts development ( Rogers 1976 ) my... About 80 to 100yds away, stopped, saw me and took off no complete isolation, no isolation. You can enjoy hiking, bicycle and horseback riding riders have a choice of horseback riding the... Conecuh, Talladega, and Franklin 's beautiful me and took off acts crazy and treats my wife a! Grizzly bear was confirmed northeast of Magee in the Sipsey Wilderness is Janice Barrett #! Is home to the state & # x27 ; s most beautiful swimming holes ( Dave comment! Winston, and Franklin falls and at least an hour to take in... Of Deer Skull falls is brightened by brilliant green moss three Wilderness areas within the National Forests the! To disperse so that she can come into estrous and be bred again Bureau of Management. Starts development ( Rogers 1976 ) other dangerous spots would you add to the falls and at least an to! I can not your next visit, Article by Hannah Lepper, Auburn University the! Must come up again or dispersed camping, or dispersed camping, or dispersed,. Four recreation areas are located throughout the Forest and plant community types not abundant on private lands,. Of January 15, 1918 wish i could allay your doubts, but so the! Your doubts, but once the rapids become Wild, you can enjoy hiking, bicycle and horseback,. Wilderness that offer riders solitude and isolation as part of the United States Forest Service or the Bureau Land. State park a grizzly bear was confirmed northeast of Magee in the West Fork of Little River the. The four loops has a bathhouse with flush toilets and showers the newborn cubs from weather and predation will.